Momma Cuisine: Great Tips to Reduce Food Waste in Your Kitchen
It is really alarming knowing the fact that forty percent of food in the United States is out to waste, and there are millions of people dying of hunger and poverty every year. While it is true that we can’t necessarily control the food waste thrown in restaurants and grocery stores, we can definitely control the food waste occurring in our homes. In this article, allow us to help you through tips and tricks for reducing food waste in your kitchen.
1. Do not waste your leftovers. You can reuse your leftovers by not only microwaving your last night’s dinner. You can make simple dishes out of your leftovers, like a different recipe, so don’t microwave food as it can reduce the texture and taste of food.
2. Remake your leftovers ideas. For leftover grains and legumes, you can make a quinoa salad, rice salad, or fry it to make some butter. You can also make an early morning fried rice for breakfast by adding peas, shredded carrots, bits of leftover ham, and tossing it with tamari or soy sauce. You will surely be delighted to add leftover grains and legumes to soups and salads. Fry your unique recipe of grain and legumes patties with egg, herbs, and spices in a shallow pan. You can fry leftover lentils and add Mexican seasoning.
You can do great recipes with leftover meats. Thinly slice pork, beef, and chicken, and add them to sandwiches, soups, or salads. Nothing can beat a cold roast beef served with mustard to dip and homemade biscuits for a simple lunch.
4. Don’t ever waste your leftover oatmeal or cereal. You can make patties by adding a rice flour with egg and a dash of cinnamon.
It is a good idea being organized with your food leftovers. Be practical by placing your leftovers in mason jars, and label each jar using a marker on a masking tape. Do not forget to add the date.
Store your food leftovers on the refrigerator in vacuum sealer roll containers. It is better to use transparent containers to store food in the fridge so you can easily what is inside and remember to make good new recipes with them.
7. Prevent wasting of food by serving small portions for children. You will realize that serving small portions will make your child crave for more and ending up eating everything than wasting food.
8. Always have a plan when buying food. You might be shopping for too much perishable ingredients that is converted to food waste. It is best to create a list of enough ingredients you will need until your next supermarket day so no food is put to waste, saving you money at the same time.
Feel free to check this out or visit the website to find out more about Momma Cuisine tips and tricks.